downton, how I love thee
or, more accurately, maggie smith, how I love thee. seriously, why isn’t she in every scene on downton abbey? I think someone should do something about that.
okay, let’s talk downton season 4, shall we? I can’t believe we’re already halfway through the season. SLOW DOWN, DOWNTON! well, maybe don’t slow down. things already move pretty slowly around that abbey, but honestly, the season is going to be over before we know it!
so, what do we think so far?
- this whole anna story line…super sad and super frustrating. I’m glad bates finally knows (mostly) what’s up, but I’m still a bit bugged by the whole thing. why can’t anna and mrs. hughes go to the police, get that nasty guy arrested, and THEN tell bates what happened. if the dude is in jail, bates won’t be able to kill him. side note before we get to the murderous side of bates: how completely wonderful was he when he told anna he knew what happened? PERFECT HUSBAND. well, almost perfect. he does have a murderous heart. which, I suppose, is also romantic. but also he probably needs to NOT GO TO JAIL. hold it together, bates!
- for real, lord grantham, can you PLEASE show a bit of humility. just a bit. that’s all we ask. remember how you almost ran the estate into the ground? REMEMBER?!?!
- I had a moment during episode 4 where I realized just how lovely the writing and acting really are. there was a scene with mary where you realize how very much like her father she is, and yet different. I wish I could remember details, but I do remember how well played it was.
- daisy needs to GET OVER ALFRED already. jealousy is not becoming of her. also, I think daisy should buck society and go apply for that chef program at the ritz. she is obviously much more qualified than alfred. and then, after school each day, she can march down the streets of london with mrs. banks and yell “votes for women” at the top of her lungs. (because mrs. banks is a real person living in london around this time I think maybe right? wait, mary poppins isn’t real?)
- why does it feel like edith is doomed? can’t that girl catch a break? think the nazis have captured her beau yet? because you know they’re going to. brace yourselves! and you know when it happens mary’s gonna be all like “too bad your dude got captured by nazis, a-hahahahahaha” at the breakfast table while lord grantham tells edith being a journalist is just one step up from prostitution. poor edith.
- okay, so the new lady’s maid that thomas brought in…you think she actually doesn’t like thomas and might be a decent human being? I can’t tell what I’m supposed to think here and it’s starting to stress me out.
- I love that cora continues to be as calm, bemused and clueless as ever. I don’t even know if she knows if she likes orange juice or not but it doesn’t even matter, that juice still makes her happy. ahhhhh, to be ridiculously wealthy and sheltered. seriously, though, I love her.
- I’m surprised how well I’m handling matthew’s death, btw. at the end of season 3 I was certain the world was over, and yet life marches on and everything is still really great. like, the show is just as good as ever. so much for matthew! looks like mary feels the same way…
oh wait, that’s michelle dockery getting her makeup done. seriously, when I saw this photo I thought, “when was mary laughing so hard on the show?!?!?!” it’s nice to know that this was a “real life” photo and that it is still NOT all fun and games at downton. just as it should be. very good.
Photo source: PBS